- ½ cup unsalted butter*, at room temperature
- ½ cup shortening or lard
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla)
- ½ teaspoon salt*
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- Sprinkles or guava paste for filling
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper, or use an ungreased cookie pan.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening (or lard) and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in almond extract, salt and flour until well combined.
- Divide dough into small balls, about 1 ½ teaspoons each.
- Create an indent in each cookie with your thumb.
- Add sprinkles or a small cube of guava paste (about ½ inch cube).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges are golden.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.